Friday, February 17, 2012

Step By Step: Racing Stripes

This is a simple Step By Step guide on how I achieved the design I posted yesterday.

What you'll need:
  • Nail polish - base colour - Maybelline Racy Red
  • White nail polish - Revlon White On White
  • Black nail polish - Rimmel Black Out
  • Scotch tape
  • Scissors
  • Top coat - Seche Vite Dry Fast top coat
  • Tweezers
  • Pad of paper/ Paper towelling

 Step 1:  Apply your base coat and then however many coats of your chosen base colour. I used Maybelline Racy Red as my base colour for this design.

 I'm reusing an old image here hence the different watermark!

Step 2:  Ensure your base colour is completely dry. Cut two equal thin strips of scotch tape however ig you want the gap between the red and white stripes. Then cut two large strips that will cover the otther segment of the all to form the white stripe.


Step 3: I suggest you do this one nail at a time because otherwise it is a PITA. Apply one of your thin strips of scotch tape to the upper area to mark where you want your top white stripe to be. Then add your second thin piece of tape to outline where you want the black stripe to be. Finally place each of the two larger strips on the top and bottom of your nail to outline the size of the white stripes.


Step 4: Paint the centre section between the two smaller pieces of tape with your black nail polish. I used Rimmel Black Out.

Step 5: Then paint the two outer sections with your white nail polish. I used Revlon White On White. Now MAJOR SIDE NOTE: ensure that the white polish you use is opaque in one coat and isn't runny! My White On White is very runny and if I had any other whites I would have used it because it was impossible to get a neat line with the white running everywhere and being so lumpy.


Step 6: After you finish painting immeditely remove the pieces of tape. I found it easiest to use tweezers to grab the tape and pull it off.


Step 7: Repeat steps 2-6 for the remainder of your nails.

 
Step 8: Clean up any excess nail polish from around your nails and fingers.



Step 9: Finally add a top coat to seal the design and you're done. Here is the final result:


There we have it! Alternately you could use a nail art brush or striping brush for form the black and white stripes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your feedback! I'd love to hear from you and I read each and every comment :)